Friday, March 5, 2010

Full Circle-Feeling Good

Hi!

I was just taking a minute to reflect and think and thank for how awesome things can be sometimes when they come full circle.

Less than a year ago, in a region of the United States, I had sent some items to a regional buyer for Vitamins and Bodycare at one of the slightly larger chains in their respective part of the U.S.

I had done so at the request of some of the independent managers to see if it could be brought in at a regional level, even though I had specifically stated, I'd prefer to just go one by one so I knew they really wanted our flagship items in their stores and would be excited that they were there.

Waiting with happiness and anticipation after I sent the items, and filled out about 12 pages of paperwork, I received an email that not only was addressed to me, but to all the store managers of the given region.

Stating that it was regionally declined because, and I roughly quote "this whole issue of BPA is back and forth and rages on, and there's nothing wrong with plastic containers"

that my labels were "misleading to state that it was BPA and MTBE free because they all are..."(even the one's in dark shale plastic containers, which clearly is not true) even though I assured this individual it was simply a purity statement assuring customers that it was not even a factor to consider that it was to assure them it was extra healthy and safe, and reiterating that I don't take the issue of BPA, MTBE, and XenoEstrogens Lightly. It's right on the label for goodness sakes.

and that they "see no difference between my items and anything else on the market other than it's in glass"
  • making no mention and completely missing the finer grind offering more protein per serving,
  • making no mention of and completely missing the cold filtration on the Hemp seed oil, offering a higher level of purity than anyone else,
  • making no mention of any of the bodycare items like the massage oil in glass, or the soothing shave oil also in glass, or the soaps that detoxify and support your skin....
I was stunned and so bummed. Not only did this smack of indiscretion, it was just so weirdly inaccurate, none of it made sense to me and since it was spammed out to all the department managers in the region, I was put into the position of either A) defending my company, products, and the integrity of my line, or B) run the risk of having a whole region of managers tell me "well, you kind of had your chance and it didn't seem like you did much, so you know.. there's not much I can do."

It really threw me for a loop, and to say those things to a Cancer survivor trying to avoid things that can cause you ill health? Yick. that's awful.

So, I stood my ground and defended my line and position on plastic.

Mind you:
I was never met with in person
I was never spoken with on the phone
No meeting was ever arranged.
Just e theatre at it's distant finest, spammed out to total strangers.

The response from the buyer was so theatrical and over the top that it left managers intimidated to order the items for fear of retaliatory actions. This is still stated to me on occasion today, that it will affect their promotions, vacation time, etc. It's totally insane, and I thought immediately it smacked of shenanigans and flailing that only could mean one thing, that it jeopardized the potential success of something very huge that they had committed to. Unfortunately sometimes, people don't think that largely or that it could be something so low ball.

It also came at a time that their shares were down to 9 dollars a share, from 30, and sure enough less than 3 weeks later a different company mysteriously showed up nationally with a new version of their hemp protein that is showed great favoritism by this chain. Which bummed me out because I totally dig the way that particular company does business, even if it's in plastic, and the founders, etc. always seem really nice.

Anyway, at least it all made sense. At my companies expense, albeit, but it at least added up financially for a struggling department in a chain who's shares were sinking. I would have respected it so much more if they just said "I'm sorry but we've committed to a large buy in nationally for XYZ company and this will jeopardize it's success at our stores right now, try in about a year." Simple and honest. Whatever. It's forgiven, I bless them, and I pray for them daily, and am thankful for the learning lesson and consider it valuable and beautiful to have learned. I also respect the decision of defending their investments. I understand and respect that. I am also thankful that I stood my ground.

Well, now less than a year later, of wild success, and fantastic growth, customer response, and beautiful testimonies, we stand at a point of total and utter happiness.

Better than that, 4 entire STATES have completely BANNED all BPA and MTBE lined and packaged food products from the shelves of their stores. As in gathered citizens, legislation, signed and voted in straight up BANNED! Washington, Wisconsin (the land of dairy! Amazing!), Connecticut, and Minnesota! Dude! 4 ENTIRE STATES! YES!

It gets even better, in a move unprecedented by the FDA, they have issued not one but TWO formal statements on the dangers of foods and bodycare items packaged in BPA plastic.

One Article is here
Another BPA related article, not from the FDA but still extremely important is here
I'll leave the other for you to find, I don't want to spoil your fun of looking.

I can't tell you how awesome it is to have 4 entire states, and the FDA basically stating and echoing the exact same thing I said and took such heated flack for over a year ago, with high potential that Oregon and California will be the next to follow.

I've never been so happy to have labels and packaging that can assure consumers and customers that it is "Bisphenol A Free, MTBE Free" all in amber glass, and all Organic.

This isn't meant to gloat, or meant in vengeance, nothing like that at all. That is not Love, that is not Mercy, and that is not Compassion.

What it is however, is just me taking a moment to feel good that I stood my ground, and took the initiative to be the change that I wished to see in the world. All that negativity can't eclipse or outshine the truth of all the good vibes that I'm trying to share, or that are a part of my company.

I treat people the way they want to be treated.

And I will start fresh by saying:

I am a Cancer Survivor, and I believe it is God who spared and saved my life. My Mother, is also a Cancer Survivor.

I don't take the issues of Bisphenol A, MTBE, or Xeno-Estrogens Lightly, and YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER! :)

I consider your family, to be my family, and my family to be your family. I mean that in the greatest of Love Mercy and Compassion.

I'm just taking a moment to reflect, to be thankful, and feel really really good. Because right now, I really really do.

I will truly pray that each and every one of you God blesses with the greatest blessings of Love, Mercy and Compassion.

JVS

No comments:

Post a Comment